Thursday, June 12, 2008

T-shirt quilt status and other things...

Well, I have not completed the quilt yet. As of May 28, I had everything put together and I tied the quilt to at least align the squares front to back. Remember, I am an engineer so I get very anal about random things. Anyway, I was going to try and bind it before I went to New Jersey, but I did not have enough binding material.

Here is a recap of what I experienced:
I bought 1 yd. of this really cool Kaufmann fabric and 1 yd. of black and gray dot fabric along for the sashing strips and a black scroll fabric for the binding. I couldn't decided on the outer border so I just put that on the shelf. Keep in mind that by my calculations, this quilt will be 76 in x 76 in. Well, I cut the sashing strips and realized that I had enough to join the blocks left to right and then join the resultant strips. HOWEVER, I did not have enough to outline the shirts on either side. I had to go back to JoAnn and get the appropriate fabric. Thankfully, the Kaufmann was still there, but the dot fabric was gone!!! I also had to get the outer border fabric and they finally had a charcoal gray solid so I picked up 2 yds just in case.

I got home and wasn't overly thrilled that one side didn't have the uniform sashing, but I wanted to get the quilt finished since it was supposed to be a Christmas present. Anyway, I made a design change and finally finished the quilt top and back.

I didn't get it basted until Memorial Day and I was able to tie it minimally before it had to make its journey to New Jersey to meet its owner. Lisa was happy with it and I told her that I wanted to quilt it a little better than what was there and I also had to make the binding after I got more fabric.

Uncle Sonny saw the quilt and he said that he is saving his shirts now...

Arianna's birthday party went well. We also had a little gathering at my mother's house for Angielee and had all our friends and their kids over. It was a zoo, but a whole lot of fun. Now I am planning birthday gifts for a couple little girls that are turning one this summer...

I have not been able to work on anything since I have been very busy with work. I have been working at night and can't seem to make it into the sewing room. However, that does not keep me from visiting JoAnn's. I picked up some shirting for $2/yd and I am not sure what I want to make. I haven't shown it to Angielee 'cause I know she'll want something out of it. I need to really get all the fun fabric I bought washed and dried so that I can work on something! I am going through some withdrawal and with so many great ideas out there, I don't know where to start!

In other news, a friend of mine had a baby a week ago and I would like to make something for him. I am sure that she has blankets, burp cloths, etc coming out of her ears, but she may be getting another set of things...

Wayne doesn't really want anything for Fathers' Day or his b-day which is Monday other than going out to dinner. I am taking him to Hen of the Wood in Waterbury, VT. The chef there has been named one of the top 10 new chefs of 2008 for Food and Wine magazine. Being the Foodies that we are, we certainly have to try it out.

Speaking of Foodies, Wayne and I went out to dinner with Lisa and Joe while we were home and went to AOI on 12th and Walnut in Philly. Although, we enjoyed the all you can eat sushi for $20, it paled in comparison to Morimoto, which is on 7th and Chestnut. Then again, dining with the young and fabulous of Philly in an Iron Chef's restaurant is quite a treat. We did have reservations for Bobby Flay's restaurant but cancelled them for Morimoto.





No comments: